Seasoned collard greens
By Loren M. Blinde, PhD Aug 23, 2022 • 25 min
Dark green, leafy collard greens are nutritional superstars, full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. If you’re living with diabetes, this quick-to-prepare soul food recipe is a great way to bring some superfood power—and super flavor—to your plate.
- 2 tsp. sodium-free, powdered, instant chicken bouillon
- 2 c. water
- 2 packages (9 oz.) frozen collard greens, thawed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove (or 1 tsp.) minced garlic
- 2 slices uncooked turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 tsp. brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Cider vinegar (to taste)
Stir together bouillon and water in a pan. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Add greens, onion, garlic, bacon, brown sugar and salt. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes; stir occasionally.
Drain the greens well and season each serving with cider vinegar to taste.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Amount per serving
Total carbohydrate: 8g; dietary fiber: 3g
Total fat: 1g; saturated fat: < 1g
Adapted from diabetesselfmanagement.com
Published August 2022.