Chicken with black-eyed peas and yellow rice
By Loren M. Blinde Aug 22, 2022 • 35 min
This recipe uses lean chicken breast and plant protein powerhouse black-eyed peas in this comforting one-pot dish. Fresh herbs, spices and aromatic vegetables pile on the flavor without adding a lot of calories or fat. Serve with a side of greens or a salad for a healthy soul food classic.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 c. saffron-flavored yellow rice mix
- 1 can (15 oz.) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. red onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh thyme (optional)
In a 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add 1 cup of diced onion and cook about 4 minutes or until tender. Add chicken and minced garlic. Cook about 4 minutes more, or until chicken is browned, turning once.
Stir in broth, poultry seasoning, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Bring mixture to a boil.
Stir in uncooked rice (see “tips” section below). Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook about 10 minutes, or until rice is almost tender.
Stir in black-eyed peas and 1 tablespoon fresh thyme. Cover and cook about 10 minutes, or until the peas are heated through and the rice has absorbed the liquid. If desired, garnish with additional finely chopped red onion and snipped thyme.
- You can find saffron-flavored yellow rice mix with other rice mixes in your supermarket.
- Look for a brand that combines the seasonings and the rice to make it easier to measure out the 3/4 cup needed for this recipe.
- If the brand you buy comes with a separate seasoning packet, mix the seasonings with the rice in a separate bowl and measure out 3/4 cup.
Serving size: 1 cup
Amount per serving
Total carbohydrate 28.1g; dietary fiber 4.5g; sugars 1.8g
Total fat 3.6g; saturated fat 0.7g
Vitamin A 40.5IU
Vitamin C 7.7mg
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Published August 2022.