By Walgreens Oct 05, 2022 • 15 min
This healthier take on a popular Senegalese dish uses skinless chicken breasts and a mix of mustard, onions, chicken broth and bright spices to create a rich and savory broth. It’s a tasty dinner option that can fit into a diabetes meal plan. To soak up the sauce, try using cauliflower rice for an easy, low-carb swap.
- 2 sprays cooking spray
- 1/2 c. fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1/3 c. fresh lime juice (juice of 3 to 4 limes)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 (1-inch) pieces fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper or habanero chili, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper, coarsely ground
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (7 oz. each)
- 3 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (can substitute yellow mustard)
In a large bowl, whisk broth, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, ginger, chili, salt and black pepper. Add chicken and onions and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, tossing halfway through and pressing to submerge chicken and onions.
Coat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium. Remove the chicken from the marinade, allowing the liquid to drip back into the bowl. (Leave the onions in the bowl.) Add the chicken to the pan and cook until deep golden brown and almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Drain the onions, reserving the marinade. Add onions to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, just until softened, 1 to 3 minutes.
Whisk the mustard into the reserved marinade and pour over the onions. Stir the onions, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Nestle the chicken into the onions. Cook until the chicken is heated through and the marinade has mostly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
Amount per serving
Amount per serving
Protein 43.5 g
Total carbohydrate 16.9 g; dietary fiber 3.3 g; sugars 6.2 g
Total fat 11.5 g; saturated fat 3 g
Cholesterol 125 mg
Sodium 937 mg
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only. Actual nutritional content may vary.
Adapted from www.weightwatchers.com
Published October 2022.
- Nutritional Data: https://www.verywellfit.com/recipe-nutrition-analyzer-4157076