By Walgreens Aug 23, 2022 • 15 min
This zesty Caribbean classic proves that healthy dishes don’t need to be dull. The fast prep means you’ll have a homemade meal on the table in short order. Enjoy this soup year-round by subbing in seasonal vegetables and seafood.
- 1 celery stalk, quartered
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-in. ginger root, grated
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 fish stock cube, dissolved in 1 c. water
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- About 2 oz. okra, cut into 1 in. chunks
- 1 small green banana or plantain, 3.5 oz., cut into slices
- 1 summer squash or zucchini, about 7 oz., chopped
- 4-6 scallions (spring onions), chopped
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, halved
- 7 oz. red snapper fillets, cut into chunks
Place the celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic, ginger, allspice, thyme and fish stock in a pan. Bring to a gentle boil, cover, then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the red pepper, okra, green banana and summer squash. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Add the scallions and Scotch bonnet pepper; stir. Finally, add the red snapper chunks and cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer. Discard the bay leaf and serve.
Serving size: 1 scant cup
Amount per serving
Total fat 3.1g
Saturated fat 0.6g
Total carbohydrate 25.7g
Dietary fiber 7.7g
Total sugars 12.5g
Adapted from diabetes.org.uk
Published August 2022.